Friday, March 14, 2008

Guess where I am :D

So I managed to get a KD 14 ticket (including tax) from Jazzera Airlines to this country and flew in a couple of days ago. Let’s play a game of where I am. Here we go:


Clue number 1:

Ten minutes after landing I witness a scene that brought a smile to my face :)

40-year-old-angry-man #1: Eeey mister. The end of the line is there.

50-year-old -don’t give a damn-man: I was here. Just left for a while.


40-year-old-angry-man #1:
How’s that possible? Your flight came after ours.

At least 3 other angry passengers joining in: Yeah, how’s that possible? Get to the back of the line.


50-year-old -don’t give a damn-who is now getting a bit irritated-man:
Listen, I said….[insert some angry words here]


30-year-old angry woman talking out loud to herself: Some people have a lot of nerve. They just cut and don’t seem to care.


What you should have concluded: Hmmmmm, so in this country people seem to argue over cutting in line a lot, hmmmmm so which country could it be, hmmm?


Clue number 2:

Me over hearing a conversation between a mother and a daughter


Daughter: That was a bumpy flight


Mom
[looking exhausted]: I seriously got very scared. I thought we were going to crash

Daughter: Why don’t you go and sit down, I’ll wait in line

Mom now way too tired to reply


Daughter
: mom you don’t look good. Take an anti-stress pill and go and sit over there


Mom: I took the last one on the plane. I don’t have any left.


Four other passengers at the same time: Here you go, I have one


What you should have concluded: Hmmmm, so in this country most people are a walking pharmacy


Clue number 3:

Passport control officer: So is this your first trip to [name of mysterious country you are suppose to guess name of]with this passport.


Me: Yeah

Passport control officer: So you were born in Kuwait, huh?

Me: Yeah

Passport control officer: And is your mister from [name of country]? [SIDENOTE: Ok, I’m not sure of the exact translation of the word he used, so let’s just assume ‘mister’ is what he said]

Me: yeah both my parents are from [name of mysterious country you are suppose to guess the name of]

Passport control officer: No, your mister!

Me: My what? Ahhhhhh, [realizing he means husband not father]Actually, I’m single.

Passport control officer: Why? [checks my date of birth] You were born in ???. So it’s time. Even guys your age should get married by now, let alone a woman. [insert another 3 minutes of a well-thought out and well structured lecture and definitely ideas I for one have never heard of before on the social, religious, national, civil, economical and well just humane benefits of marriage.


What you should have concluded: Hmmmmm, so in this country people seem to ask strangers lots of personal questions and seem to love lecturing people, now where could it be, hmmmmmmmmm?



Clue number 4:


In the taxi ride from airport


Me talking to myself: Is he speeding? Ahhhh, who cares, I’ll get home faster…wooooo…how come no one is driving within the lanes…damn that truck is emitting a lot black smoke…wooooo that car got way too close to us!!!!.....wooooo so did this car….damn that was close…woo that car is driving only 1 cm away from us…hey he’s not going to try to squeeze into that little space between the two trucks is he?..aaahhhh…he did…you know what, maybe I should just close my eyes till we get there.


What you should have concluded: Hmmmmmm, so traffic in this country is pretty scary.


Clue number 5:

When we got to my neighborhood


ME talking to myself: Wooooo, where did all this highways come from. They weren’t here last time I visited…and check out the traffic…and the people…and the shops…what happened to all those houses, why are they now apartment blocks?



What you should have concluded: Hmmmmm, so this city is basically unrecognizable if you go away for only a couple of years.




Clue number 6:


Taxi driver listening to the radio about an upcoming election


Taxi driver talking to me…or maybe just out loud: These [insert any foul word here]. Did you know [insert 10 minutes of latest political news with his well-thought out and well structured commentary and definitely ideas that I for one have never heard of on how the current regime has destroyed the country]


What you should have concluded: Hmmmmm, so in this country you will have a political discussion every time you are in a cab.




Clue number 7:


When I tried to log onto my Facebook, YouTube, and Flickr account I saw this:


blocked.jpg



What you should have concluded: Hmmmmm, so most sites in this country are blocked….oh…wait I think I got the name of the country mirrorpolisher is there now…It’s Iran…how did I guess, well elementary my dear Watson, I used a series of elimination techniques from the 7 clues and cleverly managed to deduce that the only country in the world that it could be is Iran…oh that and that it’s actually written in clue 7.



NOTE: Until 5 minutes ago, blogspot was also blocked, that's why I couldn't post anything till now.

8 comments:

G said...

KD 14?!!! I guess for that cheap of a ticket I'd put up with the nosy passport control people too...Have Fun! (and post lots of pictures and stuff when you come back...just because you can!)

Grey said...

Where you at now ? Shiraz? Take care, be careful with blogging, Internet has eyes you know!

Touché said...

I would never have guessed it :)

Have fun

Intlxpatr said...

Absolutely fascinating, MP. So people in Iran stand in line, and scorn those who don't? Women speak up? And the driving is WORSE than Kuwait?? Watch out, one of those handsome Iranian men will capture you and you won't come back! :-( Will you be there through Noorooz?

Anonymous said...

easy :P Welcome to Iran :D

Hope you enjoy your stay and stay safe !!!

Arsh said...

Well... It's Iran, nothing's unexpected there!
Be safe and enjoy the excitement of Norouz there.

Cheers,

Proshat said...

Hey... WELCOME to Iran!
It took me a while to get what counry you are refering to since everything here is soooooo perfect! (My Pinoccio nose is out of the window by now)

Mirror Polisher said...

g.e&b: :D I will post TONS of pix when i get back :D

grey: what doesn't have eyes these days :P nope now i am in tehran, but i travel around a lot. will post pix to show where i visit.

touche: I'm having a blast already. 2007 was the year that emotional prepared me for this trip

intlxpatr: standing in line is a national past time here in iran :D

oh yeah, women speak up alright. In fact if you ask iranian men, it's difficult to shut us up :P

Yeah, some eyes here do trap you :P

yeah, i am gonna stay here all throughout norooz and probably till end of april.

amu: thanks amu :D

arshia: mer30 :D Jaaee hameh iraniha aziz khaee :D

proshat: would you believe it's coz of these exact 7 reasons why i lve tehran soooooo much.