Saturday, March 22, 2008

Half the world celebrated something on Friday :D :D :D :D

Mom and I will hit the road in about an hour. I couldn't sleep, got up to surf and came across this article. Brought a smile to my face, thought of sharing it:






"...on this particular Friday, March 21, it seems almost no believer of any sort will be left without his or her own holiday. In what is statistically, at least, a once-in-a-millennium combination, the following will all occur on the 21st:

Good Friday

Purim, a Jewish festival celebrating the biblical book of Esther

Narouz, the Persian New Year, which is observed with Islamic elaboration in Iran and all the "stan" countries, as well as by Zoroastrians and Baha'is.

Eid Milad an Nabi, the Birth of the Prophet, which is celebrated by some but not all Sunni Muslims and, though officially beginning on Thursday, is often marked on Friday.

Small Holi, Hindu, an Indian festival of bonfires, to be followed on Saturday by Holi, a kind of Mardi Gras.

Magha Puja, a celebration of the Buddha's first group of followers, marked primarily in Thailand.



"Half the world's population is going to be celebrating something," says Raymond Clothey, Professor Emeritus of Religious studies at the University of Pittsburgh. "My goodness," says Delton Krueger, owner of www.interfaithcalendar.org, who follows "14 major religions and six others." He counts 20 holidays altogether (including some religious double-dips, like Maundy Thursday and Good Friday) between the 20th (which is also quite crowded) and the 21st.



You can read the whole article here: Good Friday! Happy Purim, Eid, etc...


UPDATE: I just realized that Mother's Day in the Arab world was also this Friday :D :D

Hey maybe this is a sign that 2008 is the year of world peace :P :P

6 comments:

Intlxpatr said...

That is SO cool! I knew about each thing separately, but had not looked at the big picture, all things together. WOW.

Arsh said...

Oh interesting. Nice post. May 2008, 1387 be a peaceful year for all nations :) Enjoy your time in Iran, have a safe trip.

Frieda said...

I too believe 2008 will be a different year for the world. love that picture...

Hope all is well with you, did you get my reply to your email? I have your email printed and posted on my wall next to my bed..your email gives me so much hope and energy. :-)

Love you

Anonymous said...

Well, I am the last it seems to congradulate you on Mew Years!
I had been off the net a while! :D
I LOOOOOVed your Haft Seen! ;)

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing!

Mirror Polisher said...

intlxpatr: sign of peace i say :D

arshia: amen...thanks gurl. i had a wonderful time. How was yr Nowrooz?

frieda: I meant every word of it. THANK YOU for all you have done for me. Seriously if it weren't for that 1 sentence i don't think i would be in this peaceful state of mind right now

proshat: Yeah i have been of the net for a while as well....Noroozetan Pirooz :D :D

amu: thanks for thanking :D :D :D