Thursday, April 24, 2008

Wanna peaceful state of mind—throw away all your beliefs :D


Quick question: How do you know you are right?

I’m not talking about anything in particular; just in general. How do you know you are right about anything—your religious beliefs, political stands, causes you believe in, or whether chocolate cake truly is much better than vanilla cake.

I used to be a person who thought that my beliefs are strongly rooted in logic and common sense and anyone who didn’t agree with them was a blind stubborn imbecile with a rat’s $hit for brains stuck in the dark ages :D

Now I say, the only problem with common sense is that there’s nothing common about it!!

As for logic, well logic all depends on how far you tilt your head, your mood, or whether you are pmsing or not.


Logic is an illusion.


Have you guys seen that Facebook Right-Brain vs Left-Brain application that asks you to say which way the girl is dancing? When I first saw it, I thought WTH, of course it's clockwise; there’s nothing illusionary about it. It’s clear as day. Boy did I get the shock of my life when I saw how many people have said she is twirling counter-clockwise.

What, are these people blind??!!! This is NOT an illusion; she is clearly twirling clockwise; why couldn't they see it???

Ok, maybe a possible explanation is that it keeps changing directions. But no EVERY time I saw it, it was clockwise. SO WHY COULDN’T PEOPLE SEE IT THE WAY I SAW IT.

Again, I repeat this image is not an optical illusion. See with other optical illusion pictures nothing is clear; the pictures are always half way between something; so I can accept why some see a frog, some a horse; some and old woman, some young; BUT THIS PICTURE WAS CLEAR.

Then it hit me; if I just tilt my head to the left a little bit, I would see her twirling counter-clockwise!!! I practiced till I got her to turn the other way. :D

But then two days later, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t “see” her turning counter-clockwise. Apparently my mood also affects my perception.


Hmmm, so how often had I been so sure of my beliefs before, how often was I 100% what I was seeing is crystal clear and how often was I shocked that others didn’t see what I saw.

So if all those time I would have just tilted my head, I could have seen what they saw.

Are all our strong held beliefs just like this dancing girl?






PS. If you cannot see her turning in the picture above go here

PPS Also go there to get the interpretation of your test result.

PPPS. Baba, ya ammy, ya amu, ya walek...just go there :D

UPDATE: A non-virtual friend just sent me this video related to the above topic. Check it out:


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

But in having no believe in anything you will be confused hence un-happy because ok sure for a phase you will stop questioning
But humans will always be curious and will want to find answers, answers that don’t even exist therefore you will always go back to an un-peaceful state of mind, whether you find someone who agrees with you or not.

Arrghh i have issues with beliefs as well; p

Arsh said...

Clockwise it is! LOL! Apparently you and me both use the right side of the brain!

Mirror Polisher said...

bumblebee Good point...i didn't mean not having any beliefs at all; that's impossible; as you pointed out, us human are curious, even if it is about different things.

What I was trying to say was that there's no ONE answer for our questions. The same question can have many answers each logical in their own right.

And even once we find an answer that satisfies us, we always end up changing it as we grow older.

arshia hehehe now try getting to spin the other was :P

Anonymous said...

Which side of brain do I use?? never thought about it :P

Grey said...

Green Blog? What happened? Bitten by Al Gore?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Mirror Polisher, I can't tell you how often my beliefs have been stood on their head. Even things for which I had evidence and "everyone said" - we just don't always have ALL the information.

It's what I love about living in foreign cultures. It isn't always comfortable, but you learn to see things from another perspective, sort of living life with a tilted head to allow you to see that girl dance clockwise - AND counter!

Anonymous said...

Tag!

Mirror Polisher said...

amu: forget which side, what just tell us what's usually on your mind :P


grey: hehehe...this is my 5th template in 6 months


intlxpatr: not only living in a foreign country, even in my own country i stm have to put my self in other people's shoes to see their side of things


Yeaaaaah I LOVE tags :D