Saturday, November 10, 2007

Attan: updated

About the video:

"Attan is a traditional Afghan dance. It is said to be one of oldest Afghan Pagan dance, some identify Attan as an a religious ceremony of early Zoroastrians placing it 2000 BCE, and some have placed even older going back to King Yama's celebration of Nowroz and warriors dancing and circling around the fire. King Yama was the first Afghan king dating back to 3500 BCE. This was later modified into an Islamic dance to allow the dancers to get 'closer to God' this virtual Attan practised by many Afghan poets and mystics had even reached to corners of Turkey, Europe known as the Rumi Dance. It is performed usually with a Dhol, which is a double-headed barrel drum. The dance can be anywhere from 5 minute to 30 minutes long. There are many different kinds of Attan most famous are Kabuli, Mazari, Kandahari, Sistani, Herati, Pashayi, and Nuristani."








UPDATE:
Intlxpatr asked:

1. Is this dance related to the dance of the whirling dirvishes of Konya?

I just came to know about it, and based on what I have read so far the dance dates back to early Zoroastrians so I wouldn't say it stems from Sufism. However, with the coming of Islam, it was modified by Islamic mysticism. The dance involves "rapid circular motion, dancers perform until no one is left dancing in a fashion similar to sufi whirling dervishes." SOURCE

2. Women are allowed to dance this dance? Are they permitted to dance it publicly?


Based on this site, I would say yes they are. Of course, whether they still perform publicly in present day Afghanistan is another story.

4 comments:

Intlxpatr said...

Wow! I watched the whole thing. I love the music.

1. Is this dance related to the dance of the whirling dirvishes of Konya?

2. Women are allowed to dance this dance? Are they permitted to dance it publicly?

I am so happy to see you posting again!

Mirror Polisher said...

Honestly I just got to know about it 5 minutes before posted it. A friend sent it to me. I loved the music so much that I posted it.

*goes to research Intlxpatr questions*

Intlxpatr said...

I love the music, too! It has some very modern elements for such ancient music. Thank you for the update.

Mirror Polisher said...

Thank for the questions..made me learn some other stuff while browsing the net for answers :)