Monday, November 12, 2007

Students say the darnest things

After being a teacher for over 12 years, I thought I had heard it all in class. My favorite grammar error is: he-him, she-shim  Of course, I believe this one is taken from a Kuwaiti play called “Bye bye London”.

Today I heard one that I for one had never heard before. We were practicing the object pronouns. I wanted them to ask me to give them what I am holding. So I held up 1 pen and a student said, “Can you give it to me?” I then held up 3 pens and she goes, “Can you give its to me?”

Well, I couldn’t really blame her, only yesterday I told her to add an “s” to most nouns to make them plural :D

4 comments:

Frieda said...

how happy to find out your new blog...I was looking for you and I thought I lost touch with you.

Welcome back!

Reem B. said...

Hey... Same here.. I thought you just disappeared and I miss your blog... Good to know you're still here!! :D

About that grammatical error.... "STILL LAUGHING"!!!!

Your students are so cute I must say!

Anonymous said...

I have an Arab coleague who says months ( 1month) and months's(2 months) .... i tried many a times to correct him ..but no use

Mirror Polisher said...

frieda: nice 2 b back :D

cancerian: that's why i love being a teacher ;p

grey: :D, heard that one as well